Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sub Roll Recipe

Since yesterday I have had several requests for the Sub roll recipe we used... The only problem is that the link to the recipe no longer works ackkkk. Luckily for you guys I wrote it down. I will write some notes at the bottom. There are a few things I would have changed to the recipe but since I was working with a brand new baker I wasn't going to change things on him. We just followed directions.

Copycat Subway Rolls

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup butter
5 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. yeast
2 eggs
1 TBSP. cold water
1 egg white
1/2 cup rolled oats

Directions

1. In a saucepan heat water, honey and butter until warm.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine 5 c. flour, 1/2 c. oats, salt, yeast.
Mix in warm liquids until just blended. Knead in last 1/2 c flour
Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour

3. Punch down dough divide into 8 pieces. Shape dough into long thin rolls aprox. 12 inches long. Place on 2 greased cookie sheets and let rise 1 more hour.

4. Combine egg white and water, brush dough, sprinkle with remaining oats
Bake at  375* for 20-25 min.


Notes: This was a very simple recipe.
But it was a little to sweet. Had I been making it myself I probably would have cut the honey in half. 2 of the sub rolls where honestly to small to use for subs Making 6 rolls would have been a good idea instead of trying to make it make 8. I will probably increase the amount of yeast to either 2.5 or 3 tsp. next time. And if I had it I probably would have used half whole wheat flour.
I will probably make it again with those changes!

Enjoy!!!

4 comments:

Sadie said...

Yay, thanks!! :) The girls will love to make these, and they have such simple tastes when it comes to sandwiches it doesn't make sense to take them to Subway, LOL (turkey, mayo, black olives... that's it?!?)

McVal said...

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Unknown said...

this looks like the perfect recipe!

Helene said...

Thank you for posting the recipe!! The subs look amazing!!

I never seem to have any luck when making breads. I'm sure I'm not doing something with the yeast the correct way because it never rises!