Saturday, July 31, 2010

Squash!

Last weekend my husband received some squash from a coworkers garden! The majority of it was acorn squash, and even as a novice squash connoisseur I knew what that was! Then there were two squash that I couldn't identify at all had it not been for Google!
They looked like this
(image courtesy of Google images)

Thanks to my vast Google skills (hahahahahaha) I was able to find out that these were Buttercup squash. I had to scratch my head and think for a bit because I had never heard of buttercup squash. Butternut  yes, Buttercup... Isn't that a little yellow flower That grows in my yard??? Well thanks to google for saving the day yet again! Because I found out that buttercup squash is a very flavorful and sweet squash that once cooked closely resembles sweet potatoes!  And my first thought before I had even tried to cook them or anything was... Sweet potato casserole. Yes! Then I thought this would be an awesome introduction to squash for my poor squash deprived children.
Lets just say it worked and oh how well it worked
I had all my children asking for seconds
Even my husband tried it... and said it was pretty good ;).
So Let me share my "recipe" I just threw it all together really...

Buttercup Squash (sweet potato casserole)

2 good sized buttercup squash (halved and seeded)
brown sugar
milk 
cinnamon
oatmeal
butter

Place the halved squash cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 30 min. or until squash is soft.

Scoop squash into a mixing bowl and mash up with a fork or potato masher. Mix in about 1/4 cup of milk (just enough to make it smooth), Add in 1/4 - 1/3 cup of brown sugar. taste it to make sure it is sweet enough/ not to sweet. This squash is pretty sweet to start with. Add in 2-3 teaspoons (or more LOL) of cinnamon. Pour into a casserole dish.

Top with a sprinkling of oatmeal, Brown sugar, Top with a few pats of butter and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake at 350 for 30 min.

Oh my it was heaven on a plate. It was buttery, sweet, and just really good! We served it with chicken and cucumbers from our garden! yum!

No comments: