Monday, October 20, 2008

dinner tonight



Well I started off the day looking through my Rachael Ray cook books.. I got to This one , and though I had found dinner. Mac and cheese, peas with onions and bacon, and apple crisp... Yummm. Then I went to look in the pantry...we somehow missed buying noodles at the store this week... OK so that was out... so I started browsing again I came across grilled honey lime chicken... looked interesting and easy....Only I don't have any lime juice, well lemon should work right? That sounded good to me! Well here we go

Ingredients
The juice of 1 lime (I used lemon about 2.5 tbs. of juice from the bottle)
2 tablespoons honey
1 rounded teaspoon cumin
A handful of cilantro, finely chopped (1. 5 tablespoons)...i didn't have cilantro so i left it out
2 tablespoon olive oil
4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts
Montreal steak seasoning

Toppings
lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado
salsa
4 crusty rolls split (i only had hamburger buns)

Directions
combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl to make a dressing. (I double the dressing but only added 1 tsp of cumin to it, i was afraid the kids wouldn't eat if I added to much cumin LOL) Sprinkle chicken with seasoning (or salt and pepper), Coat with dressing, set aside for 10 min. (I pounded the chicken with a rolling pin so it was thinner and cooked faster then seasoned place in a small roasting pan and let it set in the dressing for about 30 min.)

Grill chicken on an indoor electric grill 6-7 min. on each side, or pan fry over med. high heat in a large non-stick skillet uncovered about 6 min. per side.

Slice grilled chicken on an angle and pile on roll bottoms (I just cut the chicken breasts in half they were the perfect size for the buns) Top with lettuce tomato red onion and sliced avocado spread salsa on roll tops.

This was good... really really good. Brianna Ate 2 whole sandwiches... Yayyyy we served with chips and salsa on the side and topped them with salsa... Oh I will be doing this again, they were sweet, a tiny bit spicy from the seasoning with only the slight taste of the cumin just really really good! Even Alex liked it.. though he was done after half a sandwich. Hubby ate a sandwich after work tonight and proclaimed it a keeper :).
Yum

He says it tastes good :)
Brianna says "mmmmm" (she was done with her first sandwich before I even got to sit down)
Caitlynn's was soon gone
Yayyyy a meal everyone liked!

Now for Breakfast, working in the crock pot. We are having Steel cut oats (it is just a chunky oatmeal really and takes longer to cook)
I ad 1 cup of oats 2 peeled and chopped apples, and 4 cups of water,and a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon (I may add a dash of cloves tonight not sure yet) cook on low 8 hours (our crock pot will then keep it warm for up to 5 hours). It will be perfect when we wake up. Spoon into bowls, sweeten with a little brown sugar or honey and a dash of milk... The easiest hot breakfast ever!!!

note... tonight I added a dash of ground cloves and a bit of ground ginger with the cinnamon... it smells wonderful, My house is going to smell sooo good when we get up tomorrow!

No comments: