Thursday, February 19, 2009

whats for dinner....


Tonight for dinner I made Pan Sauteed Chicken with vegetables.
It was sooooo good. I did alter it some to match what I had in the kitchen, I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, white potatoes, and regular carrots that I just sliced up. Oh and 2 small white onions instead of the red. I think I over did it just a bit on the lemon juice, I just poured some in LOL. The carrots were distinctly lemon flavored but still good. I also added Montreal steak seasoning to the flour instead of the paprika and black pepper. Oh I am still stuffed and I have a whole LOT of leftovers yayyy.
Brianna ate 3 servings of chicken... it was really really good!!!!

Not sure what to make for dinner tomorrow, I don't really feel like chicken again, not sure I feel like ground beef either... I'm thinking beans and corn bread, I got some blacked peas at the store the other day I just need to find the right recipe... you know one that I either have everything or I can alter enough and still think it will taste good... I'm looking, and this recipe looks ok.. But I'm not sure I really want the tomatoes..

Though I found this one too

HOPPIN' JOHN
1 hour 30 minutes, plus 4 hours' soaking
1 cup dried black-eyed peas or field peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 smoked hog jowl, or 1/4 pound (3 strips) thick-cut smoked bacon
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt 5 or 6 peeled whole tomatoes, or half a 28-ounce can, drained (optional)
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice.
1. Wash the peas in a strainer, and soak them for 4 hours in ample fresh water. When ready, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a 4-quart pot, and brown the hog jowl on both sides. (If using bacon, omit the olive oil, and simply render the fat in the pot for 5 minutes.) Add onion, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 6 cups water, black pepper, red pepper and salt, and bring to a boil. 2. Let mixture boil 10 minutes, and then add peas. Maintain a low boil, uncovered, until peas are nearly tender (25 minutes for black-eyed peas, 30 minutes for field peas). In a bowl, lightly crush tomatoes, and add to pot. Add rice to pot, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. 3. Turn off flame, and allow hoppin' John to steam in pot, lid on, for 5 minutes. If using hog jowl, remove from pot, and shred meat. Fluff hoppin' John, and add shredded jowl. Serve.


and I have everything, and I can leave out the tomatoes, I know alot of people cook theirs with either beef broth or chicken broth and I have both of those I just have to pick which one I want to use... and I think I'm going to make it in the crock pot... b/c well I'm lazy and I don't feel like cooking all that much tomorrow.. hmmm looks like dinner :) I will have to let you know how it goes LOL. I can already guess Nathaniel and Alex won't be to happy, Brianna will and she will eat it (or at least the first half) Caitlynn will be ecstatic and love every bite. :)

No comments: