Saturday, February 21, 2009

And dinner last night was....



Really really good!
I really was prepare not to like it...and for the kids not to like it, I mean I have never really been a big fan of beans, but as we try new ingredients I am finding I like more than I thought before.. And surprisingly my kids are liking more than I thought they would also!
Ok so lets see.. I didn't really follow and one recipe exactly..
I soaked a 1 lb bag of black eyed peas overnight
drained and rinsed them in the morning.
Then put them back in the crock pot. I poured in enough chicken broth to just cover the beans, they added extra water to cover them by about 2 -3 inches. To the water I added a tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning. I small onion diced. about a tablespoon of minced garlic. and then I browned 4 slices of bacon and threw them in the pot with the bacon grease. (According to some recipes I read people say that the grease is important... I just know you couldn't tell it was there when it was all done.. Though I think it did add a kick of the bacon flavoring.) And that is it.. I left it to cook on low all day. Then about 30 min before dinner I made a pot of rice, and a batch of corn muffins... I dished out the beans added a scoop of rice and gave the kids each a corn muffin. Brianna and Caitlynn LOVED it.. Not a big surprise they both like beans, and they both love to try new foods. Alex did not like it... I think it just may have been to spicy.. There really is a fine line between good and to spicy with the Montreal steak seasoning and it was a little spicy.Nathaniel.. LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really surprised, he doesn't normally really like beans but will eat them if I tell him to :). But yeah he told me that they were AWESOME!!! Yayyy.... and out of the 1 lb of beans... I only had enough leftover to freeze for one more meal... I will defiantly be making this more often!!!!!!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
And now for a pic. of Caitlynn in the spot she is the most lately LOL

No comments: